What should I do if I am stopped in my car by the police?
If you are stopped by a police officer, you should understand that the officer must take necessary steps to ensure his or her safety. If you are stopped:
- Pull as far over to the right side of the roadway as possible.
- Stay in your vehicle unless you are otherwise directed.
- Place your hands on the steering wheel in view of the officer.
- If it is dark, turn on your dome light.

The officer may ask for your driver license, vehicle registration, and proof of insurance. If these items are located in an unusual place, advise the officer of this prior to reaching for the item. The officer will state his or her reason for stopping you. You may disagree with the officer and are free to explain your reasoning, but you should not become confrontational with the officer.

The officer may issue you a traffic ticket which will contain information on you, the vehicle you were driving when you were stopped, the location of the alleged offense, and a date, time and location for a court appearance. If you wish to plead guilty to the offense, you may mail the traffic ticket to the returnable court listed on the ticket. If you believe that you are not guilty of the offense, you may explain this to the judge at your court date.

Show All Answers

1. Which phone number should I call for police assistance?
2. What can I do if I learn of a youth party with drugs and alcohol being involved?
3. Which court should I go to?
4. When is all night parking prohibited?
5. What should I do if I am stopped in my car by the police?
6. How many drinks does it take to become legally intoxicated?
7. What do I do if someone is missing?
8. How do I locate sex offenders in my area?
9. Where can I find information on my local laws?
10. How do I obtain a handicap parking permit?
11. How do I commend or file a complaint against the police department or one of its officers?
12. What if I am a victim of a crime?
13. What if I've experienced financial hardship as a result of a crime?
14. How can I get a copy of a report?