The Town of Manlius Police Department Cadet Post was instituted as a cooperative effort of the Town of Manlius Police Department and the North East Regional Law Enforcement Educational Association (NERLEEA). The overall objective of the program is to expose young men and women to a career in the law enforcement field through lectures, tours, in-service training, and a ride-a-long program.
The Cadet Post consists of sworn police officers acting as advisors and associate advisors. These advisors are trained in youth protection guidelines and work to maximize the explorer’s knowledge in the many fields of law enforcement. The cadets themselves have a rank structure consisting of a Captain, Lieutenant, and a Sergeant to help begin the transformation into future leaders, whether they become law enforcement officers or move onto to different careers.
- Candidates must be between the ages of 14 and 20, be a Town of Manlius, or Villages of Fayetteville, Manlius, or Minoa resident or attend a secondary school within the jurisdiction.
- Candidates are subject to a basic background check which may include criminal history checks, character references, and contact with the respective candidates school.
- Due to the nature of the law enforcement program, the candidates must be of good moral habits with no arrest or conviction records for serious offenses including crimes of moral turpitude.
- The candidate should remain in school with good academic standing or have completed high school.
Requirements Upon Acceptance
Should the candidate be accepted, they will be invited to attend an initial meeting for cadet orientation. Members must maintain an attendance record of 85% to retain ride-a-long privileges. These privileges can be removed for any reason should the advisor dictate.
Training includes the following:
- Accident investigation
- Basic first aid
- Basic law enforcement orientation
- Crime scene search techniques
- Police radio familiarization
- Public relations
- Traffic control
- Use of flares
- Vehicle and traffic stops and many more topics
Once cadets meet the mandatory training requirements, they are allowed to participate in Town of Manlius Police Department functions, special events as assistants to police officers, and ride-a-longs with police officers working inside the jurisdiction.
Uniforms & Insurance
Cadets are uniform in appearance. These uniforms are purchased by the member and are a nominal cost.
Brochure & Application
For more information check out our Cadet Post Brochure (PDF). To apply for this opportunity, complete and submit the Cadet Post Application/Rules and Regulations (PDF).